Monday, September 14, 2009

Walking to the bus stop

When I was a kid, my sister and I walked over half a mile to the bus stop and home each day by ourselves. We also let ourselves into the house and played quietly until our parents got home a couple hours later. We lived on a culde-sac so there was no way the bus would pick us up at our door and with both parents working, catching a ride was out of the question. In our new home, we live nearly a mile from the elementary school. Now granted, this area doesn't believe in side walks and the route would take them along a very busy road, so I wasn't too surprised to find that Carver would be bused. However, what does surprise me is the expectation that a parent will walk him to the bus stop in the morning and be there waiting in the afternoon. Our bus stop is at the end of our block, literally two houses down. The first week of school meant waits of up to an hour as the bus driver figured out her route and had to stop and talk to each concerned, generally uninformed parent.

However last week, with the route sorted out and a general sense that I knew what to expect, I told Carver that he needed to walk himself home from the bus stop. I know of all the horrific stories of kidnappings, including the latest reappearance of the girl in California, but I also wonder how we will develop a sense of independence in a child if we constantly hold their hands. And yes, I have been reminded by two separate neighbors of the risk I'm taking. But isn't it a bigger risk that Carver will grow up fearful?

No comments:

Post a Comment